Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Playground Nights

My fingers twitch in rhythm
One two three
One two three
One two three four
Like playing the air
And I can hear the music
Of all these voices
And the squeak of the swings

And we sit so still on that
Playground structure
So absent of children
In the summer nights

And we barely touch
Just our little pinkies
But we are so close
Entwined in a way
I’ve never known
Like God stitched
Our hearts together
Like you stitched together all
Those patches on your hole-less jeans

And I need you here
More then I need air to breathe
More then I need food to eat
And I want to follow you
Like that day you went
To find that alien light
Dancing gold rain above us
And we walked and walked
And finally we gave in
And laid on the little merry-go-round
In the middle of this playground
And watched the stars
Paint white daydream light
In our minds

And it was so warm
We could have slept there
But we went home instead
But for that glorious moment
You held my hand
And the stars exploded
In my stomach
And ate a pathway to my soul

4 comments:

  1. vivid capture of the playground nights.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a good job telling of a playground night

    http://gatelesspassage.com/2011/09/04/haggle-baggily/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is oustanding! The vivid scenes are so real, and I recall nights just like what you describe. You brought the sights and sounds--the silence--to life. And the the touch of hands. Powerful! Very wonderful poem. Nice wirting!
    My entry: http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/09/04/blood-on-the-moon-2/

    ReplyDelete